Re: COMMIT IN STORED PROCEDURE WHILE IN A LOOP

От Benedict Holland
Тема Re: COMMIT IN STORED PROCEDURE WHILE IN A LOOP
Дата
Список pgsql-general
This seems like a bad use of a stored procedure. Why wouldn't you spin up 40 clients with a table name and run it across 40 connections? But also, I don't like loops in stored procedures. Working with loops in a set based system hurts me but it's personal preference.

Like, I could write this in python in less than 4 hours with an extremely simple sproc. How often are you running table deletions like this to require a sproc?

Thanks,
Ben

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022, 5:39 PM Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> wrote:
gogala.mladen@gmail.com schrieb am 19.10.2022 um 01:46:
> Amazon, lead by Kevin Closson, the guy who has famously designed
> Oracle Exadata among other things, even came up with the recipe how
> to migrate it to Postgres:
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/database/migrating-oracle-autonomous-transactions-to-postgresql/

The workaround to use dblink to simulate autonomous transactions is nothing new,
and has been floating around for quite a while.

Here is a blog post from 2012 (6 years before the Amazon recipe was published)

https://raghavt.blog/autonomous-transaction-in-postgresql-9-1/

and another one from 2016

https://blog.dalibo.com/2016/09/08/Pragma_Autonoumous_transactions.html