Re: Is there a way to dump schema to files on disk and keep them in sync

От Benedict Holland
Тема Re: Is there a way to dump schema to files on disk and keep them in sync
Дата
Список pgsql-general
You want Alembic and an afternoon of python writing. You just described an ORM.

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020, 12:53 PM Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On 12/13/20 6:34 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 12/12/20 6:58 PM, Tim Uckun wrote:
>> I want to dump my postgres schema to disk in neat directories like
>> pgadmin presents. Then I want to be able to edit the files and sync
>> changes to the database and ideally if changes were made in the
>> database to sync them back to the disk.
>>
>> Is there a tool that does this? Is there a tool that will dump the
>> schema into separate directories and files like pgadmin does?
>
> pgAdmin does not create directories, it just organizes the contents of
> the system catalogs into GUI elements.
>
> For schema management I would suggest a tool like the one I use
> Sqitch(https://sqitch.org/). It will organize the process of schema
> creation and management.

Yeah, that was my thought too. Or maybe look at the other schema
versioning tools available - we have a list on the wiki:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Change_management_tools_and_techniques

I'm sure it's incomplete, but it's helpful nevertheless.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company