Re: Allowing parallel pg_restore from pipe

От Joachim Wieland
Тема Re: Allowing parallel pg_restore from pipe
Дата
Re: Allowing parallel pg_restore from pipe  (Timothy Garnett <tgarnett@panjiva.com>)
Re: Allowing parallel pg_restore from pipe  (Timothy Garnett <tgarnett@panjiva.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
> What might make sense is something like pg_dump_restore which would have
> no intermediate storage at all, just pump the data etc from one source
> to another in parallel. But I pity the poor guy who has to write it :-)

hmm pretty sure that Joachims initial patch for parallel dump actually
had a PoC for something very similiar to that...

That's right, I implemented that as an own output format and named it "migrator" I think, which wouldn't write each stream to a file as the directory output format does but that instead pumps it back into a restore client.

Actually I think the logic was even reversed, it was a parallel restore that got the data from internally calling pg_dump functionality instead of from reading files... The neat thing about this approach was that the order was optimized and correct, i.e. largest tables start first and dependencies get resolved in the right order.

I could revisit that patch for 9.4 if enough people are interested.

Joachim