Re: [PoC] run SQL over ciphertext

От Mingyu Li
Тема Re: [PoC] run SQL over ciphertext
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello Peter,

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/89157929-c2b6-817b-6025-8e4b2d89d88f@enterprisedb.com

Thanks for referring me to your TCE project, nice work! It takes time to go through the long thread of discussion and the patch.

A quick question: what operations do pg_encrypted_* support? Are (in)equality checks sufficient to fulfill real-world queries?

--
Best,
Mingyu

Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> 于2023年10月11日周三 14:43写道:
On 10.10.23 08:42, Mingyu Li wrote:
> We have developed an extension, allowing PostgreSQL to run queries over
> encrypted data. This functionality is achieved via user-defined
> functions that extend encrypted data types and support commonly used
> expression operations. Our tests validated its effectiveness with TPC-C
> and TPC-H benchmarks. You may find the code here:
> https://github.com/SJTU-IPADS/HEDB <https://github.com/SJTU-IPADS/HEDB>.
>
> This PoC is a reimplementation fork while collaborating with a cloud
> database company; the aim is to enable their DBAs to manage databases
> without the risk of data leaks, /meeting the requirements of laws such
> as GDPR./
>
> I am wondering if anyone thinks this is a nice feature. If so, I am
> curious about the steps to further it mature and potentially have it
> incorporated as a part of PostgreSQL contrib.

FYI, see also
<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/89157929-c2b6-817b-6025-8e4b2d89d88f@enterprisedb.com>
for a similar project.