Re: [HACKERS] PG10 transition tables, wCTEs and multiple operationson the same table

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PG10 transition tables, wCTEs and multiple operationson the same table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, are you willing and able to put any effort into this, like say
> reviewing the patch Thomas posted, and if so when and how much?  If
> you're just done and you aren't going to put any more work into
> maintaining it (for whatever reasons), then I think you should say so
> straight out.  People shouldn't have to guess whether you're going to
> maintain your patch or not.

It has become clear that the scope of problems being found now
exceed what I can be sure of being able to fix in time to make for a
stable release, in spite of the heroic efforts Thomas has been
putting in.  I had hoped to get this into the first or second CF of
this release, same with the release before, and same with the
release before that.  At least landing it in the final CF drew the
level of review and testing needed to polish it, but it's far from
ideal timing (or procedure).  I can revert from v10 and deal with
all of this for the first CF of some future release, but if someone
feels they can deal with it in v10 I'll stand back and offer what
help I can.

You mentioned blame earlier.  That seems pointless to me.  I'm
looking to see what works and what doesn't.  When I went to develop
SSI it was because my employer needed it, and they asked what it
would take to get that done; I said one year of my time without
being drawn off for other tasks to get it to a point where they
would be better off using it than not, and then two years half time
work to address community concerns and get it committed, and follow
up on problems.  They gave me that and it worked, and worked well.
In this case, resources to carry it through were not reserved when I
started, and when I became full-up with other things, then problems
surfaced.  That doesn't work.  I don't want to start something big
again until I have resources set up and reserved, as a priority, to
see it through.  It's a matter of what works for both me and the
community and what doesn't.

In the meantime I'll try to keep to small enough issues that the
resources required to support what I do is not beyond what I can
deliver.

--
Kevin Grittner
VMware vCenter Server

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] PG10 transition tables, wCTEs and multiple operationson the same table
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] PG10 transition tables, wCTEs and multiple operationson the same table