Re: When starting postgres, it hangs like it is still connected to stdout

От Joe Van Dyk
Тема Re: When starting postgres, it hangs like it is still connected to stdout
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Susan Cassidy <susan.cassidy@decisionsciencescorp.com> wrote:
When I start postgres using postgres -D $PGDATA, it hangs, and I see that postgres and all the other attendant processes are running, but I never get my prompt back.

If I hit ctl/C, postgres ends running.

I can't seem to figure out why.

This is postgres 9.2.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Susan

$ postgres -D $PGDATA &

should start postgres in the background. (the '&' at the end tells it to put the process in the backgroudn)

If you want it running outside your shell, you should use pg_ctl.
 $ pg_ctl --help
pg_ctl is a utility to initialize, start, stop, or control a PostgreSQL server.

Сообщение: Re: When starting postgres, it hangs like it is still connected to stdout
Сообщение: Re: When starting postgres, it hangs like it is still connected to stdout