Re: adding a nullable column of type domain w/ check constraint runs checks?

От Joe Van Dyk
Тема Re: adding a nullable column of type domain w/ check constraint runs checks?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Joe Van Dyk <joe@tanga.com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Joe Van Dyk <joe@tanga.com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Joe Van Dyk <joe@tanga.com> wrote:
I have a large table that I don't want to lock for more than couple seconds. I want to add a nullable column to the table, the type of the column is a domain with a check constraint.

It appears that the check constraint is being checked for each row, even though the column can be nullable? Is there a way around this?
BEGIN Timing is on.

create domain test_enum numeric check (value > 0); CREATE DOMAIN Time: 1.817 ms

create table test_enum_table (id serial primary key); CREATE TABLE Time: 2.213 ms

insert into test_enum_table select * from generate_series(1, 2000000); INSERT 0 2000000 Time: 4299.000 ms

alter table test_enum_table add column t test_enum; ALTER TABLE Time: 3165.869 ms -- Takes 3 seconds in this test example
Also:

alter table test_enum_table add column t1 numeric check (t1 > 0);
  ALTER TABLE
  Time: 140.185 ms

which is much more reasonable.

johnto on irc says:

"I'm not sure why it's done this way. it seems like it could test the domain once against NULL and see whether that's rejected or not.  instead it just forces a rewrite :-("

Would it be possible to check the domain against null and if that works, then don't check any of the rows?

Joe