Fwd: Memory usage after upgrade to 9.2.4

От Daniel Cristian Cruz
Тема Fwd: Memory usage after upgrade to 9.2.4
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Sorry, I answered to Tomas only...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Cristian Cruz <danielcristian@gmail.com>
Date: 2013/4/21
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Memory usage after upgrade to 9.2.4
To: Tomas Vondra <tv@fuzzy.cz>

I had the same environment, almost:

2013/4/21 Tomas Vondra <tv@fuzzy.cz>
> 2) What are the hardware specs for the machine?

32GB of RAM, 6 cores. I don't know which linux distribution they run.

The interesting part is they have a lot of tables due to a partitioned
schema. In total there's ~9500 tables.

We had many tables, not that many, 743 right now.

> 3) Is it still in test mode or in production?

It's in production for a long time and so far it was running fine, until
the upgrade to 9.2.4.

Same here.

> 4) You seem to imply that in test mode everything worked alright, is
> that the case?

It was working fine in the production (exactly the same workload) for a
long time (few months at least).

Production is working on 9.1.4; Test environments are on 9.2.4 for some time (they use a dump from production, updated daily or at request)

> 5) In either case, test/production, what is being done in the session(s)?

Simple selects, mostly index scans, nothing complex or time consuming.

There's not a particular query that crashes, it's rather about a
combination of queries.

I can say that there is mostly simple queries, but there is more complex queries showing in the log.

> 6) Is there anything in the Postgres logs that might shed light?

I do have a log with the memory context info printed after the OOM
killed the session - see it attached.

I didn't let the OOM killer works, since I was the session killer...

Thanks Tomas, at least I'm not so alone now...

--
Daniel Cristian Cruz
クルズ クリスチアン ダニエル

--