does max_connections affect the query planner

От Bob Jolliffe
Тема does max_connections affect the query planner
Дата
Re: does max_connections affect the query planner  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Hi

We are trying to diagnose why postgres might be making poor decisions
regarding query plans.  One theory is that it does not assume it has
the memory suggested in effective_cache_size.

We do know that max_connections is set quite high (600) when we don't
really expect more than 100.  I wonder does the planner take
max_connections x work_mem into account when considering the memory it
has potentially available?

Regards
Bob