Re: Run pgindent now?

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: Run pgindent now?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Realistically, with merge.conflictstyle = diff3 (why is this not the
> default?), resolving whitespace conflicts that occur when you try to
> cherry-pick is typically not very difficult.

Really?  The problems I have generally come from places where pgindent
has changed the line breaks, not just horizontal spacing.  I haven't
seen anything that copes with this, certainly not git.

Iif pgindet were easy to run, committers could start complaining if patch submissions don't abide by pg coding style conventions.

Part of submitting a patch would be making sure that an "pgindent run" after the patch has been applied is still a no-op...  A reviewer could easily check it, and a committer could easily squash the "pgindent run" result in if they wanted to be nice to a 1st time submitter...

If every patch were "pgindent clean", then you would never end up with these huge pgindent commits causing pain...

a.