Re: RecoveryWalAll and RecoveryWalStream wait events

От Atsushi Torikoshi
Тема Re: RecoveryWalAll and RecoveryWalStream wait events
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 6:59 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

I meant the following part in the doc.

---------------------
At startup, the standby begins by restoring all WAL available in the archive
location, calling restore_command. Once it reaches the end of WAL available
there and restore_command fails, it tries to restore any WAL available in the
pg_wal directory. If that fails, and streaming replication has been configured,
the standby tries to connect to the primary server and start streaming WAL from
the last valid record found in archive or pg_wal. If that fails or streaming
replication is not configured, or if the connection is later disconnected,
the standby goes back to step 1 and tries to restore the file from the archive
again. This loop of retries from the archive, pg_wal, and via streaming
replication goes on until the server is stopped or failover is triggered by a
trigger file.
---------------------

Thanks!

> It seems the comment on WaitForWALToBecomeAvailable()
> does not go along with the high-availability.sgml, do we need
> modification on the comment on the function?

No, I think for now. But you'd like to improve the docs?

I'll do it.

>     But, anyway, you think that "pg_wal" should be used instead
>
>     of "local" here?
>

> I don't have special opinion here.
> It might be better because high-availability.sgml does not use
> "local" but "pg_wal" for the explanation,  but I also feel it's
> obvious in this context.

Ok, I changed that from "local" to "pg_wal" in the patch for
the master. Attached is the updated version of the patch.
If you're OK with this, I'd like to commit two patches that I posted
in this thread.

 Thanks for your modification and it looks good to me.

Regards,

--
Torikoshi Atsushi