Re: Is it useful to record whether plans are generic or custom?

От Atsushi Torikoshi
Тема Re: Is it useful to record whether plans are generic or custom?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 1:32 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
At Tue, 19 May 2020 22:56:17 +0900, Atsushi Torikoshi <atorik@gmail.com> wrote in
> On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 6:01 PM legrand legrand <legrand_legrand@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> BTW, I'd also appreciate other opinions about recording the number
> of generic and custom plans on pg_stat_statemtents.

If you/we just want to know how a prepared statement is executed,
couldn't we show that information in pg_prepared_statements view?

=# select * from pg_prepared_statements;
-[ RECORD 1 ]---+----------------------------------------------------
name            | stmt1
statement       | prepare stmt1 as select * from t where b = $1;
prepare_time    | 2020-05-20 12:01:55.733469+09
parameter_types | {text}
from_sql        | t
exec_custom     | 5    <- existing num_custom_plans
exec_total          | 40   <- new member of CachedPlanSource

Thanks, Horiguchi-san!

Adding counters to pg_prepared_statements seems useful when we want
to know the way prepared statements executed in the current session.

And I also feel adding counters to pg_stat_statements will be convenient
especially in production environments because it enables us to get
information about not only the current session but all sessions of a
PostgreSQL instance.

If both changes are worthwhile, considering implementation complexity,
it may be reasonable to firstly add columns to pg_prepared_statements
and then work on pg_stat_statements.

Regards,

--
Atsushi Torikoshi