Re: Is there a reason why Postgres doesn't have Byte or tinyint?

От Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Тема Re: Is there a reason why Postgres doesn't have Byte or tinyint?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/npgsql/Npgsql2/src/NpgsqlTypes/NpgsqlTypesHelper.cs?rev=1.41&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

> [...]
>>>
>>> IDbCommand cmd = session.Connection.CreateCommand();
>>> cmd.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;
>>> cmd.CommandText = "KPC_GetMealPlans";
>>> //...bind parameter
>>> return cmd.ExecuteReader();
>>>
>>> This will return an iDataReader, which I loop through.  That
>>> IDataReader will return an Int16 type for the Rating OUT parameter,
>>> which I'm pretty sure is by default.  However, I would like it to
>>> return a Byte, because I use a Byte for all my ratings (which are a
>>> number of stars for the recipe, between 0 and 5)..
>>>
>>> If I understand correctly, I can create a Postgres domain called
>>> "Rating" as well which would be even cooler.  However, how would I
>>> then tell Npgsql to marshal that back as either a Byte or even my own
>>> Rating .NET type?
>>

>> Got it.
>>
>> Sorry if I rushed in my response. In fact Npgsql does the conversion
>> from .Net byte to int2 but not the other way around :(
>>
>> I have in my plans since a long time ago to implement custom type
>> conversions so users could solve problems like yours with custom types
>> on postgresql database and .net. But for while I didn't worked on
>> anything about that.
>>
>> I see 2 possible solutions for you right now:
>>
>> 1. Add your custom types directly in Npgsql code by adding custom
>> typeconverters and compile Npgsql.
>>
>> 2. Try to use a Bit datatype. Npgsql has a BitString datatype which
>> maps to postgresql bit fields which could give you the information you
>> want. But I don't know if it would be too much overkill for your
>> rating system.
>> BitString datatype already have a lot of helpers methods though
>> including one which translates the bitstring to a byte value which I
>> think would be helpful to you.
>
> Thanks so much for your help!
>
> I bet the BitString (this is basically a representation of a bitmask,
> I take it) would work perfectly for representing a 0-5 rating, plus
> maybe a bit at the end for representing the half star or something.
> However, I think it's a bit overkill at the moment when the
> alternative is just cast an Int16 to a Byte, or just use an Int16 to
> represent the rating in the first place.  Creating a customized
> version of the source equally so, though I'd love to dig into the
> source when I have some free time (oh wait, KitchenPC /is/ my free
> time)..
>
> I cannot say +1 enough to the idea of implementing custom type
> conversions though - Even if it's a quick and dirty solution.  I would
> definitely love the idea of Npgsql converting database ENUMs to my own
> C# matching enums, or DOMAINs to instances of my own C# classes (such
> as the Rating class).  I already do a little bit of this through
> NHibernate, and it works pretty well, but it only works through the
> ORM and not when I query directly.  If you ever have a free weekend of
> a long flight to get something working, I'll owe you a drink and be
> the first in line to thoroughly test it for you!

Well, the idea of custom type conversions are exactly the Domain
support to your own c# classes :)

The idea would be possible to register custom types with Npgsql
alongside their converters. I don't know if there was a way to create
a generic converter, but being able to register custom converters is
already a big step in the direction of supporting postgresql custom
domain types.

Today Npgsql has support to send you enum value to the database. You
can see an example of that in the EnumSupport method of our test
suite. I reproduce it here for easy reading:

    [Test]
        public void EnumSupport()
        {
            NpgsqlCommand command = new NpgsqlCommand("insert into
tableb(field_int2) values (:a)", TheConnection);

            command.Parameters.Add(new NpgsqlParameter("a",
NpgsqlDbType.Smallint));

            command.Parameters[0].Value = EnumTest.Value1;

            Int32 rowsAdded = command.ExecuteNonQuery();

            Assert.AreEqual(1, rowsAdded);
        }

It is a simple support but it could help you in your task.

I think the other way around would need more work as Npgsql would need
to know how the value from database map to which enum value. But for
while, you could make the conversion manually in your client code to
your enum.

I hope it helps.

--
Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Npgsql Lead Developer
http://www.npgsql.org
http://gplus.to/franciscojunior
http://fxjr.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/franciscojunior

Сообщение: Re: Enumeration of tables is very slow in largish database
Сообщение: Re: Enumeration of tables is very slow in largish database