Re: ICU, locale and collation question

От Kirk Wolak
Тема Re: ICU, locale and collation question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 11:24 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On 09.05.23 08:54, Oscar Carlberg wrote:
> Our initdb setup would then look like this for compatibility;
> -E 'UTF-8'
> --locale-provider=icu
> --icu-locale=sv-SE-x-icu
> --lc_monetary=sv_SE.UTF-8
> --lc-numeric=sv_SE.UTF-8
> --lc-time=sv_SE.UTF-8
> --lc-messages=en_US.UTF-8
>
> Should we still provide createdb with --lc-collate=C and --lc-ctype=C,
> or should we set those to sv_SE.UTF-8 as well?

You should set those to something other than C.  It doesn't matter much
what exactly, so what you have there is fine.

Setting it to C would for example affect the ability of the text search
functionality to detect words containing non-ASCII characters.

Doesn't searching LIKE 'abc%'  behave much better for C than others.  This was the driving force for choosing C for us.
[EXPLAIN made it clear that it was range bound until 'abd']