Proposal: :SQL_EXEC_TIME (like :ROW_COUNT) Variable (psql)

От Kirk Wolak
Тема Proposal: :SQL_EXEC_TIME (like :ROW_COUNT) Variable (psql)
Дата
Re: Proposal: :SQL_EXEC_TIME (like :ROW_COUNT) Variable (psql)  (Jim Jones <jim.jones@uni-muenster.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Everyone,
  I love that my proposal for %T in the prompt, triggered some great conversations.

  This is not instead of that.  That lets me run a query and come back HOURS later, and know it finished before 7PM like it was supposed to!

  This feature is simple.  We forget to set \timing on...
We run a query, and we WONDER... how long did  that take.

  This, too, should be a trivial problem (the code will tell).

  I am proposing this to get feedback (I don't have a final design in mind, but I will start by reviewing when and how ROW_COUNT gets set, and what \timing reports).

  Next up, as I learn (and make mistakes), this toughens me up...

  I am not sure the name is right, but I would like to report it in the same (ms) units as \timing, since there is an implicit relationship in what they are doing.

  I think like ROW_COUNT, it should not change because of internal commands.
So, you guys +1 this thing, give additional comments.  When the feedback settles, I commit to making it happen.

Thanks, Kirk