Re: SQL:2011 application time

От jian he
Тема Re: SQL:2011 application time
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 4:56 AM Paul Jungwirth
<pj@illuminatedcomputing.com> wrote:

> [...]
> index or may generate a new one. And what if the user already created the same constraint? Seeing
> all the trouble giving PKs automatic (cataloged) NOT NULL constraints makes me wary about this
> approach. It's not as bad, since there is no legacy, but it's still more annoying than I expected.
>
> Finally, hanging the CHECK constraint off the PK sets us up for problems when we add true PERIODs.
> Under 11.27 of SQL/Foundation, General Rules 2b says that defining a PERIOD should automatically add
> a CHECK constraint that startcol < endcol. That is already part of my last patch in this series. But
> that would be redundant with the constraint from the PK. And attaching the constraint to the PERIOD
> is a lot simpler than attaching it to the PK.
>
> **Option 2**: Add a new operator, called &&&, that works like && except an empty range *does*
> overlap another empty range. Empty ranges should still not overlap anything else. This would fix the
> exclusion constraint. You could add `(5, 'empty')` once but not twice. This would allow empties to
> people who want to use them. (We would still forbid them if you define a PERIOD, because those come
> with the CHECK constraint mentioned above.)
> And there is almost nothing to code. But it is mathematically suspect to say an empty range overlaps
> something small (something with zero width) but not something big. Surely if a && b and b <@ c, then
> a && c? So this feels like the kind of elegant hack that you eventually regret.
>
> **Option 3**: Forbid empties, not as a reified CHECK constraint, but just with some code in the
> executor. Again we could do just PKs or PKs and UNIQUEs. Let's do both, for all the reasons above.
> Not creating a CHECK constraint is much less clunky. There is no catalog entry to create/drop. Users
> don't wonder where it came from when they say `\d t`. It can't conflict with constraints of their
> own. We would enforce this in ExecConstraints, where we enforce NOT NULL and CHECK constraints, for
> any table with constraints where conperiod is true. We'd also need to do this check on existing rows
> when you create a temporal PK/UQ. This option also requires a new field in pg_class: just as we have
> relchecks, relhasrules, relhastriggers, etc. to let us skip work in the relcache, I assume we'd want
> relperiods.
>
> **Option 4**: Teach GiST indexes to enforce uniqueness. We didn't discuss this at pgconf, at least
> not in reference to the empties problem. But I was thinking about this request from Matthias for
> temporal PKs & UQs to support `USING INDEX idx`.[2] It is confusing that a temporal index has
> indisunique, but if you try to create a unique GiST index directly we say they don't support UNIQUE
> indexes! Similarly `pg_indexam_has_property(783, 'can_unique')` returns false. There is something
> muddled about all that. So how about we give the GiST AM handler amcanunique?

I think we can Forbid empties,not not mess with pg_class.

to make the communication smooth, i've set the base commit to
46a0cd4cefb4d9b462d8cc4df5e7ecdd190bea92
{Add temporal PRIMARY KEY and UNIQUE constraints}
https://git.postgresql.org/cgit/postgresql.git/commit/?id=46a0cd4cefb4d9b462d8cc4df5e7ecdd190bea92
you can git reset --hard 46a0cd4cefb4d9b462d8cc4df5e7ecdd190bea92
then apply the attached patch.

I hope I understand it correctly.
previously revert is only because the special value: empty.
i tried to use the operator &&&, new gist strategy number, pg_amop
entry to solve the problem.
Now with the applied patch, if the range column is specified WITHOUT OVERLAPS,
then this column is not allowed to have any empty range value.

logic work through:
* duplicate logic of range_overlaps but disallow empty value. also
have the operator &&&, (almost equivalent to &&)
* add new gist strategy number
* thanks to  add stratnum GiST support function
(https://git.postgresql.org/cgit/postgresql.git/commit/?id=6db4598fcb82a87a683c4572707e522504830a2b)
now we can set the strategy number to the mapped new function
(equivalent to range_overlaps, but error out empty value)
* in ComputeIndexAttrs, set the strategy number to the newly created
StrategyNumber in "else if (iswithoutoverlaps)" block.
* Similarly refactor src/backend/utils/adt/rangetypes_gist.c make the
index value validation using newly created function.

function name, error message maybe not great now, but it works.
------full demo, also see the comments.
DROP TABLE if exists temporal_rng;
CREATE TABLE temporal_rng (id int4range, valid_at tsrange);
ALTER TABLE temporal_rng
ADD CONSTRAINT temporal_rng_pk
PRIMARY KEY (id, valid_at WITHOUT OVERLAPS);
--should be fine.
INSERT INTO temporal_rng VALUES ('empty', '[2022-01-01,2022-01-02]');
--will error out, period column, empty range not allowed
INSERT INTO temporal_rng VALUES ('[3,3]', 'empty');

ALTER TABLE temporal_rng DROP CONSTRAINT temporal_rng_pk;
--period constraint dropped, now should be fine.
INSERT INTO temporal_rng VALUES ('[3,3]', 'empty');

--reinstall constraint, should error out
--because existing one row has empty value.
ALTER TABLE temporal_rng
ADD CONSTRAINT temporal_rng_pk
PRIMARY KEY (id, valid_at WITHOUT OVERLAPS);
delete from temporal_rng where id = '[3,3]';

--reinstall constraint, should be fine, because empty value removed.
ALTER TABLE temporal_rng
ADD CONSTRAINT temporal_rng_pk
PRIMARY KEY (id, valid_at WITHOUT OVERLAPS);

Вложения

От: ikedarintarof
Сообщение: Re: doc: modify the comment in function libpqrcv_check_conninfo()
От: Amit Langote
Сообщение: Re: Doc Rework: Section 9.16.13 SQL/JSON Query Functions