Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization

От jian he
Тема Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 6:58 PM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the fixes you've proposed.  I didn't look much into
> details yet, but I think the main concern Tom expressed in [1] is
> whether the feature is reasonable at all.  I think at this stage the
> most important thing is to come up with convincing examples showing
> how huge performance benefits it could cause.  I will return to this
> later today and will try to provide some convincing examples.

hi.
I found a case where it improved performance.

+-- GROUP BY optimization by reorder columns
+CREATE TABLE btg AS SELECT
+ i % 100 AS x,
+ i % 100 AS y,
+ 'abc' || i % 10 AS z,
+ i AS w
+FROM generate_series(1,10000) AS i;
+CREATE INDEX abc ON btg(x,y);
+ANALYZE btg;
+
I change
+FROM generate_series(1,10000) AS i;
+ FROM generate_series(1, 1e6) AS i;

Then I found out about these 2 queries performance improved a lot.
A: explain(analyze) SELECT count(*) FROM btg GROUP BY w, x, y, z ORDER
BY y, x \watch i=0.1 c=10
B: explain(analyze) SELECT count(*) FROM btg GROUP BY w, x, z, y ORDER
BY y, x, z, w \watch i=0.1 c=10

set (enable_seqscan,enable_hashagg) from on to off:
queryA execution time from 1533.013 ms to 533.430 ms
queryB execution time from 1996.817 ms to 497.020 ms