Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions

От jian he
Тема Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions
Дата
Re: pgsql: Add more SQL/JSON constructor functions
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 4:46 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 3:04 PM jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:
> > we still have problem in transformJsonBehavior
> >
> > currently transformJsonBehavior:
> > SELECT JSON_VALUE(jsonb '1234', '$' RETURNING bit(3)  DEFAULT 010111 ON ERROR);
> > ERROR:  cannot cast behavior expression of type text to bit
> > LINE 1: ...VALUE(jsonb '1234', '$' RETURNING bit(3)  DEFAULT 010111 ON ...
> >
> > here, 010111 will default to int4, so "cannot cast behavior expression
> > of type text to bit"
> > is wrong?
> > also int4/int8 can be explicitly cast to bit(3), in this case, it
> > should return 111.
>
> I think we shouldn't try too hard in the code to "automatically" cast
> the DEFAULT expression, especially if that means having to add special
> case code for all sorts of source-target-type combinations.
>
> I'm inclined to just give a HINT to the user to cast the DEFAULT
> expression by hand, because they *can* do that with the syntax that
> exists.

select typname, typinput, pg_get_function_identity_arguments(typinput)
from pg_type pt join pg_proc proc  on proc.oid = pt.typinput
where typtype = 'b' and typarray <> 0 and proc.pronargs > 1;

As you can see from the query result, we only need to deal with bit
and character type
in this context.

SELECT JSON_VALUE(jsonb '1234', '$.a' RETURNING bit(3) DEFAULT 10111 ON empty);
SELECT JSON_VALUE(jsonb '1234', '$.a' RETURNING char(3) DEFAULT 10111
ON empty) ;

the single quote literal ', no explicit cast, resolve to text type.
no single quote like 11, no explicit cast, resolve to int type.
we actually can cast int to bit, also have pg_cast entry.
so the above these 2 examples should behave the same, given there is
no pg_cast entry for int to text.

select castsource::regtype ,casttarget::regtype ,castfunc,castcontext,
castmethod
from pg_cast where 'int'::regtype in (castsource::regtype ,casttarget::regtype);

but i won't insist on it, since bit/varbit don't use that much.

> I'm planning to push the attached 2 patches.  0001 is to fix
> transformJsonBehavior() for these cases and 0002 to adjust the
> behavior of casting the result of JSON_EXISTS() and EXISTS columns to
> integer type.  I've included the tests in your patch in 0001.  I
> noticed using cast expression to coerce the boolean constants to
> fixed-length types would produce unexpected errors when the planner's
> const-simplification calls the cast functions.  So in 0001, I've made
> that case also use runtime coercion using json_populate_type().

+  <note>
+   <para>
+    expression can't be coerced to the <literal>RETURNING</literal> type
+    successfully, an SQL NULL value will be returned.
+   </para>
+  </note>

I think this change will have some controversy.
the following are counterexamples

SELECT JSON_value(jsonb '"aaa"', '$.a' RETURNING bool DEFAULT
'"2022-01-01"' ON empty);
return error, based on your change, should return NULL?

SELECT JSON_QUERY(jsonb '"[3,4]"', '$.a' RETURNING bigint[] EMPTY
array ON empty);
SELECT JSON_QUERY(jsonb '"[3,4]"', '$.a' RETURNING bigint[] EMPTY
object ON empty);
Now things get more confusing. empty array, empty object refers to
jsonb '[]' and jsonb '{}',
both cannot explicitly be cast to bigint[],
so both should return NULL based on your new implementation?

omit/keep quotes applied when casting '"[1,2]"' to int4range.
SELECT JSON_query(jsonb '"aaa"', '$.a' RETURNING int4range omit quotes
DEFAULT '"[1,2]"'::jsonb ON empty);
SELECT JSON_query(jsonb '"aaa"', '$.a' RETURNING int4range keep quotes
DEFAULT '"[1,2]"'::jsonb ON empty);

SELECT JSON_value(jsonb '"aaa"', '$.a' RETURNING date DEFAULT
'"2022-01-01"'::jsonb ON empty);
but jsonb cannot coerce to date., the example  "select
('"2022-01-01"'::jsonb)::date; " yields an error.
but why does this query still return a date?