Re: BUG #15206: Can not import CSV into PostgreSQL

От Milorad Krstevski
Тема Re: BUG #15206: Can not import CSV into PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Thanks, I'll check it out.

---
Milorad Krstevski
M: +389 71 381 168
E: miloradkrstevski@gmail.com

On Sun, May 20, 2018, 12:21 Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you for all the prompt replies and explanations about databases. I am a little new in this, so maybe I made some conclusions not quite right.

I was hoping that you can help me with issues like importing sql dumps from other sources (mssql and mysql), because I wanna migrate into postgre, and also how to import DDL from other tables into postgre and afterwards import the CSV files. Having them created manually is quite long.

Ora2pg supports migration from mysql too now.

Regards

Pavel Stehule

---

On 2018-05-19 17:05:42 +0200, Milorad Krstevski wrote:
> So first I have to create all (for example 50 columns and define them in data
> type) and then import? That is not the case with any other db.

I am quite certain that it is also the case for Oracle and MySQL.

I suspect that it is true for all SQL databases, since SQL distinguishes
between data definition (DDL) and data manipulation (DML) statements.
to change your data definition as a side effect.

Which database can automatically create columns while loading a CSV file
into a table?

(It is of course possible to write a program which guesses the types of
the columns from the contents of the CSV file and then issues an
appropriate CREATE TABLE or ALTER TABLE statement. I wrote one 20 years
ago. But that's an application program, not part of the database.)

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | we build much bigger, better disasters now
|_|_) |                    | because we have much more sophisticated
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ | -- Ross Anderson <https://www.edge.org/>