express composite type literal as text

От Eric Hanson
Тема express composite type literal as text
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm trying to use a composite type in a WHERE clause, as described here:

Just pasting in the examples I get:

CREATE TYPE complex AS (
    r       double precision,
    i       double precision
);

CREATE TYPE inventory_item AS (
    name            text,
    supplier_id     integer,
    price           numeric
);

CREATE TABLE on_hand (
    item      inventory_item,
    count     integer
);

INSERT INTO on_hand VALUES (ROW('fuzzy dice', 42, 1.99), 1000);

Now I want to query for that row, specifying the item in the WHERE clause.  I can't use the ROW() notation, because all values need to be passed in as text.  But I can't seem to get the text-based syntax to work:

select * from on_hand where item='("fuzzy dice",42,1.99)';

yeilds

ERROR:  input of anonymous composite types is not implemented

I've tried various forms of quote escaping and dollar quoting as the docs suggest, but they all produce that same error:

select * from on_hand where item='("fuzzy dice",42,1.99)';
select * from on_hand where item='(\\""fuzzy dice\\"",42,1.99)';
select * from on_hand where item=$$("fuzzy dice",42,1.99)$$;

How do I express a composite type literal as text?  Any workarounds?  The text-based representation of values is a hard requirement in my project...

Thanks,
Eric