Re: Database health check/auditing

От Tim Cross
Тема Re: Database health check/auditing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Mel,

thanks a lot. The databases are all running on Red Hat (well OUL to be specific). The SQL is fine and I can always wrap them in a bash script if needed.

Having these scripts is a real help. My biggest challenge at the moment is just turning off my Oracle habits and getting back Postgres ones! Reading these scripts really helps drag out old forgotten stuff. Luckily, there doesn't seem to be too much really nasty or weird. For the most part, doesn't look like anyone has made weird configuration changes and there are no  obscure triggers doing hidden things. Most of the user defined functions seem pretty reasonable, though some seem to be doing some pretty inefficient SQL and unnecessary type casting etc. Privileges and roles are a mess - seems to be a bit of the 'make  everyone a super user' approach rather than work out what is required, but I expected that. There are a couple of databases with considerable size, but many of them are quite small (I will likely be consolidating a number of servers as their size and load is low and it will be easier to manage fewer servers). All in all, it isn't as bad as it could be or as bad as I've seen before, so it shouldn't bee too bad. Establishing some standards and change control will help.

thanks again,

tim