Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)

От Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
Тема Re: Berserk Autovacuum (let's save next Mandrill)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

>I don't think it's helpful to force emergency vacuuming more
>frequently;
>quite the contrary, it's likely to cause even more issues.  We should
>tweak autovacuum to perform freezing more preemtively instead.

I still think the fundamental issue with making vacuum less painful is that the all indexes have to be read entirely. Even if there's not much work (say millions of rows frozen, hundreds removed). Without that issue we could vacuum much more frequently. And do it properly in insert only workloads.

Deletion of hundreds of rows on default settings will cause the same behavior now.
If there was 0 updates currently the index cleanup will be skipped.

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/22/1817/ got merged. This means Autovacuum can have two separate thresholds - the current, on dead tuples, triggering the VACUUM same way it triggers it now, and a new one, on inserted tuples only, triggering VACUUM (INDEX_CLEANUP FALSE)?

--
Darafei Praliaskouski