Re: initial random incompatibility

От Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
Тема Re: initial random incompatibility
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I cannot find traces, but I believe there was a Twitter poll on which random do people get after setseed() in postgres, and we found at least three distinct sequences across different builds.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 5:52 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2019-Jun-08, Euler Taveira wrote:

> While fixing the breakage caused by the default number of trailing
> digits output for real and double precision, I noticed that first
> random() call after setseed(0) doesn't return the same value as 10 and
> earlier (I tested 9.4 and later). It changed an expected behavior and
> it should be listed in incompatibilities section of the release notes.
> Some applications can rely on such behavior.

Hmm.  Tom argued about the backwards-compatibility argument in
the discussion that led to that commit:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3859.1545849900@sss.pgh.pa.us
I think this is worth listing in the release notes.  Can you propose
some wording?

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Darafei Praliaskouski