GiST "choose subtree" support function to inline penalty

От Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
Тема GiST "choose subtree" support function to inline penalty
Дата
Re: GiST "choose subtree" support function to inline penalty  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I'm looking at PostGIS geometry GiST index build times and try to optimize withing the current GiST framework. The function that shows a lot on my flame graphs is penalty.

I spent weekend rewriting PostGIS penalty to be as fast as possible.
(FYI https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/425/files

However I cannot get any meaningfully faster build time. Even when I strip it to "just return edge extension" index build time is the same.

Is there a way to inline the penalty into above "choose subtree" loop somehow? That would also let us stop bit-fiddling floats to simulate a more complex choosing scheme.

--
Darafei Praliaskouski