Re: almost-super-user problems that we haven't fixed yet

От tushar
Тема Re: almost-super-user problems that we haven't fixed yet
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 6:50 PM tushar <tushar.ahuja@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
and in the error message too

[edb@centos7tushar bin]$ ./psql postgres -U r2

psql: error: connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  remaining connection slots are reserved for roles with privileges of pg_use_reserved_backends

[edb@centos7tushar bin]$

I think there is also a need to improve the error message if non super users are not able to connect due to slot unavailability.
--Connect to psql terminal, create a user
create user t1;

--set these GUC parameters in postgresql.conf and restart the server

max_connections = 3                     # (change requires restart)

superuser_reserved_connections = 1      # (change requires restart)

reserved_connections = 1

psql terminal ( connect to superuser),  ./psql postgres
psql terminal (try to connect to user t1) ,  ./psql postgres -U t1
Error message is

psql: error: connection to server on socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  remaining connection slots are reserved for roles with privileges of pg_use_reserved_backends

that is not true because the superuser can still able to connect,

probably in this case message should be like this -

"remaining connection slots are reserved for roles with privileges of pg_use_reserved_connections and for superusers" or something better.

regards,