Re: In-place updates and serializable transactions

От Joshua Yanovski
Тема Re: In-place updates and serializable transactions
Дата
Re: In-place updates and serializable transactions  (Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh.2007@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
This is only a personal anecdote, but from my own experience with serializability, this sort of blind update isn't often contended in realistic workloads.  The reason is that (again, IME), most blind writes are either insertions, or "read-writes in disguise" (the client read an old value in a different transaction); in the latter case, the data in question are often logically "owned" by the client, and will therefore rarely be contended.  I think there are two major exceptions to this: transactions that perform certain kinds of monotonic updates (for instance, marking a row complete in a worklist irrespective of whether it was already completed), and automatic bulk updates.  However, these were exactly the classes of transactions that we already ran under a lower isolation level than serializability, since they have tightly constrained shapes and don't benefit much from the additional guarantees.

So, if this only affects transactions with blind updates, I doubt it will cause much pain in real workloads (even though it might look bad in benchmarks which include a mix of blind writes and rmw operations).  Particularly if it only happens if you explicitly opt into zheap storage.