Re: Unreproducible bug in snapshot import code

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: Unreproducible bug in snapshot import code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> > > I have tried reproducing the bug starting from 1 and 2 transactions
> > before
> > > the one shown in snippet, and I used tab-completion to get the same
> > > screen-output as termonal1.txt and yet it's not reproducible.
> >
> > I could reproduce it when I typed TAB just after typing "set" in "set
> > transaction snapshot".
> > As Tom and Alvaro pointed out, the tab-completion issues a query and which
> > prevents the "set transaction snapshot" command.
> >

> Great! That settles it then. Reproducible, but not a bug.

Yes, it is only tabs that query the database for completion that cause
this.  Should this be documented somehow?  (No idea how.)

If we have a doc section on psql's tab-completion, I think this needs to go there. A note like:

"Trying to tab-complete on psql may send queries to the server, and depending on the transaction state, execution of these queries may lead to non-default/unexpected behaviour by the queries executed after tab-completion. For example, ..."

Regards,
--
Gurjeet Singh
EnterpriseDB Corporation