Re: [PoC/RFC] Multiple passwords, interval expirations

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: [PoC/RFC] Multiple passwords, interval expirations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 1:29 PM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2023-10-05 at 14:28 -0700, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
>
> > This way there's a notion of a 'new' and 'old' passwords.
>
> IIUC, you are proposing that there are exactly two slots, NEW and OLD.
> When adding a password, OLD must be unset and it moves NEW to OLD, and
> adds the new password in NEW. DROP only works on OLD. Is that right?

Yes, that's what I was proposing. But thinking a bit more about it,
the _implicit_ shuffling of labels 'new' and 'old' doesn't feel right
to me. The password that used to be referred to as 'new' now
automatically gets labeled 'old'.

> It's close to the idea of deprecation, except that adding a new
> password implicitly deprecates the existing one. I'm not sure about
> that -- it could be confusing.

+1

> We could also try using a verb like "expire" that could be coupled with
> a date, and that way all old passwords would always have some validity
> period.

Forcing the users to pick an expiry date for a password they intend to
rollover, when an expiry date did not exist before for that password,
feels like adding more burden to their password rollover decision
making. The dates and rules of password rollover may be a part of a
system external to their database, (wiki, docs, calendar, etc.) which
now they will be forced to translate into a timestamp to specify in
the rollover commands.

I believe we should fix the _names_ of the slots the 2 passwords are
stored in, and provide commands that manipulate those slots by
respective names; the commands should not implicitly move the
passwords between the slots. Additionally, we may provide functions
that provide observability info for these slots. I propose the slot
names FIRST and SECOND (I picked these because these keywords/tokens
already exist in the grammar, but not yet sure if the grammar rules
would allow their use; feel free to propose better names). FIRST
refers to the the existing slot, namely rolpassword. SECOND refers to
the new slot we'd add, that is, a pgauthid column named
rolsecondpassword. The existing commands, or when neither FIRST nor
SECOND are specified, the commands apply to the existing slot, a.k.a.
FIRST.

The user interface might look like the following:

-- Create a user, as usual
CREATE ROLE u1 PASSWORD 'p1' VALID UNTIL '2020/01/01';
-- This automatically occupies the 'first' slot

-- Add another password that the user can use for authentication.
ALTER ROLE u1 ADD SECOND PASSWORD 'p2' VALID UNTIL '2021/01/01';

-- Change both the passwords' validity independently; this solves the
-- problem with the previous '2-element stack' approach, where we
-- could not address the password at the bottom of the stack.
ALTER ROLE u1 SECOND PASSWORD VALID UNTIL '2022/01/01';

ALTER ROLE u1 [ [ FIRST ] PASSWORD ] VALID UNTIL '2022/01/01';

-- If, for some reason, the user wants to get rid of the latest password added.
ALTER ROLE u1 DROP SECOND PASSWORD;

-- Add a new password (p3) in 'second' slot
ALTER ROLE u1 ADD SECOND PASSWORD 'p3' VALID UNTIL '2023/01/01';

-- Attempting to add a password while the respective slot is occupied
-- results in error
ALTER ROLE u1 ADD [ [ FIRST ] PASSWORD ] 'p4' VALID UNTIL '2024/01/01';
ERROR: first password already exists

ALTER ROLE u1 ADD SECOND PASSWORD 'p4' VALID UNTIL '2024/01/01';
ERROR: second password already exists

-- Users can use this function to check whether a password slot is occupied
=> select password_exists('u1', 'first');
password_exists
-----

=> select password_exists('u1', 'second');
password_exists
-----

-- Remove all passwords from the role. Both, 'first' and 'second',
passwords are removed.
ALTER ROLE u1 DROP ALL PASSWORD;

Best regards,
Gurjeet