Re: UUID v7

От Nick Babadzhanian
Тема Re: UUID v7
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 at 23:10, Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> Well, as far as I know, RFC discourages extracting timestamps from UUIDs. But we still can have such
functions...maybeas an extension?

Do you know of any reason for that?

> However, so far I haven't figured out how to implement optional arguments for catalog functions. I'd appreciate any
pointershere.

I'd argue that the time argument shouldn't be optional. Asking the
user to supply time would force them to think whether they want to go
with `now()` or `clock_timestamp()` or something else.

Also, a shameless plug with my extension for UUID v1 that implements
extract and create from (and an opclass):
https://github.com/pgnickb/uuid_v1_ops