Re: [BUGS] plpgsql bug: `EXECUTE(sql_command) INTO rec` returnssometimes a NULL-able, sometimes not

От Manuel Pradal
Тема Re: [BUGS] plpgsql bug: `EXECUTE(sql_command) INTO rec` returnssometimes a NULL-able, sometimes not
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your quick answer.
I sent you in the attached file of previous email an example (note that I'm running version 9.3).
When I use "*" in the SELECT statement ("test_record1" function), "rec IS NOT NULL" returns TRUE ("test_record2" function), whereas when I explicit "id", "rec IS NOT NULL" returns FALSE.
In the both cases there is a row in the table.
I just want to know if this behavious is normal or not!

Thanks!

Manuel

Hi,

Using PL/SQL language, I saw a strange behavior using "EXECUTE(sql_command) INTO", then "IF rec IS NOT NULL THEN" statement.
It seems that record content infers with existence test of whole record.

You can see in attached file the possible bug in action.

Should I use "IF NOT FOUND" syntax? Is it more reliable?

The result should be NULL - but test on NULL is true, only when all fields are NULL. Can you send some examples?

you should to use GET DIAGNOSTICS statement. Variable FOUND is not related to dynamic SQL

Regards

Pavel

Thank you in advance!

Manuel PRADAL