Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC

От Mike Christensen
Тема Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC
Дата
Список pgsql-general
How do you create casts in Postgres?

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 02:55:03PM -0800, Mike Christensen wrote:

> I'd be curious as to what types of bugs were caused by these implicit
> casts..

Typically, they were cases when there was an ambiguity that the
programmer didn't understand, causing applications to blow up in
surprising and wonderful ways.

There are things you can do if you're really prepared for the gun
aimed at your feet.  Since you can create casts in Postgres, you can
actually add back many of the implicit casts yourself.

> Such as implicitly cast iff the intention is not ambiguous

I think if the developers could write code that read minds, they'd be
working on more profitable enterprises ;-)

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca