Re: Smaller data types use same disk space

От Mike Christensen
Тема Re: Smaller data types use same disk space
Дата
Re: Smaller data types use same disk space  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "McGehee, Robert" <Robert.McGehee@geodecapital.com> writes:
>> One might even imagine a future version of PostgreSQL using an
>> efficient disk layout that may not match the table layout in order to
>> avoid wasted space from padding.
>
> Yeah, this has been discussed multiple times.  The sticking point is
> the extra infrastructure needed to have a physical column numbering
> different from the user-visible numbering, and the 100% certainty of
> introducing a lot of bugs due to bits of code using one type of column
> number where they should have used the other.  We'll probably get it
> done someday, but don't hold your breath ...

Has there been any discussion of providing the ability to re-order
table columns through an ALTER TABLE command?  I would love to see
this; when I add in a new column, I often want to put it next to
something just to be more visually appealing when I'm running ad-hoc
queries.  It could potentially address this problem as well.

Mike