Re: Does Postgres compress data?

От Mike Christensen
Тема Re: Does Postgres compress data?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Greg Williamson
<gwilliamson39@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mike --
>

> <...>
>

>>Is PG compressing this data?  I'm curious as I was considering
>>converting this column to a byte array and gzip'ing the data to save
>>space, however if PG is already doing this for me, then I'm not going
>>to bother.  Thanks!
>>
>>Mike
>

> It may vary from version of postgres to version, but perhaps you are seeing the effects of TOAST kicking in ? Do a
searchin the documentation for your specific version (8.3, 9.1 etc.)

Yup, looks like this is the default behavior for TOAST-able columns.
I'm running on 9.0.  Anyway, good information - I was mostly just
curious..

Mike

От: Greg Williamson
Сообщение: Re: Does Postgres compress data?
От: Gavin Flower
Сообщение: Re: Re: significant performance hit whenever autovacuum runs after upgrading from 9.0 -> 9.1