Re: BRIN indexes and ORDER BY

От Darren Lafreniere
Тема Re: BRIN indexes and ORDER BY
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ahh, yes. I misread that. Thank you for the clarification.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Darren Lafreniere wrote:

> "In addition to simply finding the rows to be returned by a query, an index
> may be able to deliver them in a specific sorted order. This allows a
> query's ORDER BY specification to be honored without a separate sorting
> step. Of the index types currently supported by PostgreSQL, only B-tree can
> produce sorted output — the other index types return matching rows in an
> unspecified, implementation-dependent order."
>
> We found a pgsql-hackers thread from about a year ago about optimizing
> ORDER BY for BRIN indexes. Tom Lane suggested that he was working on it:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/11881.1443393360%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Tom said he was working on some infrastructure planner changes
("upper-planner path-ification"), not that he was working on improving
usage of BRIN indexes.  As far as I know, nobody has worked on that.

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/