Re: Poor performance for delete query

От Jonatan Evald Buus
Тема Re: Poor performance for delete query
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 24 April 2014 23:25, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Jonatan Evald Buus <jonatan.buus@cellpointmobile.com> writes:
> On 24 April 2014 22:29, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'd really have to bet that you forgot to index one of the referencing
>> tables.

> *That was our first thought, so we went through the child tables to check
> but apparently we missed some. (please see below for the difference in the
> explain analyze output)*

I'm confused.  Your second EXPLAIN ANALYZE looks like you fixed the
problem.  Are you still thinking there's an issue?

I believe we improved it at least, whether it's permanently fixed remaines to be seen once transaction volume increases again.

> Why is "order2transaction_fk" being triggered twice? Is that because
> there're two affected rows?

No, I'd have expected a delete of multiple rows to show as calls=N,
not N separate entries.

Maybe there are recursive queries buried under here somewhere?
That is, are you expecting any of the cascaded deletes to cascade further?
I don't recall exactly what EXPLAIN is likely to do with such cases.

Deleting from the TopTable (Transaction), I'd expect the following effects:
- 0 affected rows in Address using address2transaction_fk
- 0 affected rows in Certificate using certificate2transaction_fk
- 0 affected rows in Note using note2transaction_fk
- 1 - N affected rows in Order using order2transaction_fk

A deletion in "Order" would also trigger an ON DELETE CASCADE to Certificate using certificate2order_fk, which affects 0 rows.

This doesn't explain the extra trigger of "order2transaction_fk".
Any guidelines as to how we may investigate this further would be greatly appreciated.

JONATAN EVALD BUUS

CTO

Mobile US  +1 (305) 331-5242
Mobile DK  +45 2888 2861