Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`

От Martín Marqués
Тема Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> Maybe in addition to making "ALTER SYSTEM" throw an error, the feature that disables it should also disable reading
postgresql.auto.conf?Maybe even delete it and make it an error if it is present on startup (maybe even warn if it shows
upwhile the DB is running?).

The outcome looked for is that the system GUCs that require a restart
or reload are not modified unless it's through some orchestration or
someone with physical access to the configuration files (yeah, we
still have the COPY PROGRAM).

We shouldn't mix this with not reading postgresql.auto.conf, or even
worse, deleting it. I don't think it's a good idea to delete the file.
Ignoring it might be of interest, but completely outside the scope of
the intention I'm seeing from the k8s teams.

> Counterpoint: maybe the idea is to disable ALTER SYSTEM but still use postgresql.auto.conf, maintained by an external
program,to control the instance's behaviour.

I believe that's the idea, although we have `include` and
`include_dir` which can be used the same way as `postgresql.auto.conf`
is automatically included.

Kind regards, Martín

--
Martín Marqués
It’s not that I have something to hide,

От: Matthias van de Meent
Сообщение: Re: Detoasting optionally to make Explain-Analyze less misleading
От: Serpent
Сообщение: Document that PG_TRY block cannot have a return statement