Tutorial section of documentation: enhancements needed

От Lætitia Avrot
Тема Tutorial section of documentation: enhancements needed
Дата
Re: Tutorial section of documentation: enhancements needed  ("Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-docs
Hi all,

While being a Google Code-In Mentor, I had a nice chat with Tanvir13559 and Nathan1337 about [Postgres' tutorial](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/tutorial.html) and they came up with two constructive comments:

- That doc doesn't help anyone willing to install postgres on their laptop (the installation part refers to [chapter 16](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/installation.html) which is "installation from source code", not the easiest way for a beginner to install Postgres).
- Most of them were under MS Windows and everything in the doc is Linux related (it's not that true, but that's their impression)

What I would add is that, unlike nowadays tutorials, that tutorial will focus on explaining how it works instead of giving a recipe of how to install, how to configure basically, how to connect. I think that behind the word "tutorial", millennials don't have the same concepts than more older ones(me included), so that there are misunderstandings and I think that's no good.

Now, what can we do ?

To me, there are 2 options:
- either, we change the "Tutorial" name of that chapter, so millenials don't think they will find a step by step doc on how to install, configure and connect to Postgres and add a tutorial page (the name can be changed) on the postgresql.org website
- either we change the first part "getting started" to add practical installation steps (but it might be redundant with the download page of postgresql.org), basic configuration (if needed, as how to open connection for your OS user, that kind of things) and how to connect with psql on several OS (Windows included).

I think we really need to take care of beginners who would like to install postgres on their laptop to "give it a try".

What do you think ?

Cheers,

Lætitia

--
Think! Do you really need to print this email ?
There is no Planet B.