VACUUM FULL name is very confusing to some people (or to most nonexpert people)

От Lætitia Avrot
Тема VACUUM FULL name is very confusing to some people (or to most nonexpert people)
Дата
Re: VACUUM FULL name is very confusing to some people (or to most nonexpert people)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

For most beginners (and even a lot of advanced users)  there is a strong confusion between simple VACUUM and VACUUM FULL. They think "full" is simply an option to the maintenance operation vacuum while it's not. It's a complete different  operation.

I have a hard time explaining it when I teach PostgreSQL Administration (even if I stress the matter) and I constantly meet customer that are wrong about it.

I think that the way we name this two operations is not helping them. I had to work with SQL Server some years ago and they use the word "SHRINK" to do something similar to "VACUUM FULL". I don't know if it's the best option, I think others can be found (COMPACT, DEFRAGMENT...)

Of course, for compatibility reasons, VACUUM FULL should always be available, but I think an alias that is less confusing for people could be a good thing.

What do you think ?

Cheers,

Lætitia