Re: Disk buffering of resultsets

От Vitalii Tymchyshyn
Тема Re: Disk buffering of resultsets
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

Sure, it's fetching fetchSize into heap before switching to a file.
As of application, well, JDBC provides autocommit mode, so there are applications using it.

As of the second connection, I've got a funny deadlock once with the double connection architecture. N threads of application got N connections from a N-limited connection pool and were waiting each for another connection that just was not available.

Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn

29 жовт. 2014 20:46, користувач "Craig Ringer" <craig@2ndquadrant.com> написав:
On 10/30/2014 07:27 AM, Vitalii Tymchyshyn wrote:
> The fetching time is fully defined by a strategy that will be introduced
> after step (2) is complete. Currently it's fully fetched on execute of
> the first query, the main difference is that it's copied into a file and
> not heap.

OK, that's a bit saner, at least if you fetch small results to the heap
then switch to file storage at some threshold.

> As of multiple portals, we are talking about autocommit mode. It's
> mostly about supporting this mode and not forcing user to start a
> transaction or opening another connection. And I am against the idea of
> driver making multiple connections as it will screw up a lot of
> connection pooling scenarios and setups.

What I'm asking is why the *application* doesn't just use multiple
connections or use a transaction with portals.

It's not clear to me why it's worth the complexity in the driver to work
around what seems like problematic application behaviour.

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/