Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please

От Vitalii Tymchyshyn
Тема Re: Merge pgjdbc-parent-poms project into pgjdbc please
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

Пн, 25 січ. 2016 о 08:39 Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> пише:
On Monday 25 of January 2016 13:17:41 Vitalii Tymchyshyn wrote:
> Well, most of enterprise backend servers run on linux. Most are on
> commercial, like RedHat or Suse. As of OSGI, it's supported by Fedora (with
> Felix packages), it's just not very up to date. And PostgreSQL uses quite
> recent features. As I already noted, osgi-enterprise can be replaced with
> OPS4J package if there are OSSing problems with org.osgi.

ACK here.  There are (or were) people which cared about Felix packages.
This might change, but it should not block redistribution of JDBC.  It is
really natural to have conditional dependencies.

The problem here is that making some feature optional must be clearly stated, preferably in the bundle name. I'd expect postgresql jar taken from Fedora distribution behave the same as postgresql jar taken from the official web site. if you change it - tell in bold in the description or name it postgresql-no-osgi.jar.

> Also I suppose other projects are somehow patched because they don't
> usually use felix packages.

What projects do you mean here?  Maybe we can learn from them, somehow.

you will see hibernate-osgi depends on org.osgi artifact.

> One more thing: as for me it would be confusing to have not
> fully-featured driver distributed without being marked somehow.

Right, then we can probably discuss how to Linux specific builds somehow.
There must be a way?
Side note:  Vitalii, as you sort of trust maven repositories, you are fine
to use (online) 'maven install', then you'll get a lot of dead code (in
fully featured build) on Linux, but anyway -- you are fine.  Some
enterprise users however trust Linux distributors and for them can be
maven repository insecure.

I don't thy to argue bundling, it's just apple must be apple. If you change it - you reflect in the name (see above).
And I'd say OSGI problem must be thought globally in OSS, not only for PostgreSQL. Basically, as  I see it, current OSGI support is stuck at version provided by felix that is outdated (dunno why, may be felix guys just switched to org.osgi artifact). That's why a lot of projects dependent on it are outdated too (e.g. hibernate noted above is already at 5.0.7, 4.3.5 was release in April 2014). And it does not mean OSGI is not used in OSS world.

Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn