Re: [GENERAL] A change in the Debian install

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [GENERAL] A change in the Debian install
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Tom,

* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> (But ... these statements are based on an assumption of out-of-the-
> box Postgres behavior.  I would not exactly put it past the Debian
> packagers to have decided to change this for reasons of their own,
> and their track record of telling us about such decisions is many
> miles south of abysmal.  So you might look at whatever patches
> are in the Debian package to see if there's anything touching
> pgstat.c's socket-setup logic.)

I don't believe this is really a fair assessment.  Maybe at some point
in the distant past, but not today.  Christoph is regularly on this list
contributing to threads regarding packaging, submitting patches of his
own for improvements to PG, and the patches currently included in the
Debian distribution, at least mostly, are for things which really should
be possible to do with configure options, but which we don't provide
today, or things we should just be handling already.

+1. While this may have been true in a *very* distant past, it's certainly not anymore. So let's try to avoid spreading disinformation about that.

And FWIW, the RPM distributions have about the same number of patches...

51-default-sockets-in-var.patch
  Use /var/run/postgresql/ for the DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR.  We really
  should allow this to be changed in configure.

This looks exactly like something the RPMs want as well, so we should definitely look at providing that upstream.

I'll start a discussion with Christoph on if we might, already, be able
to remove some of these, and where we might be able to make upstream
changes to remove the need for others.

That'd be useful. I think you should also include Devrim to figure out what things would actually make *both* sides happier.