Re: New mailing list?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: New mailing list?
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 25 June 2014 09:03, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> I'm gonig to stick to a technical comment, since Stephen and Dave have
> already said most of the things I'd otherwise say on the policies anyway.

Friends,

Policies are great, but it doesn't move us towards getting a mailing list.

The last time someone in 2ndQuadrant set up a project and a mailing
list external to postgresql.org the result was roundly and deeply
critiscised. The attempt here is to "do the right thing", assuming
that the last attempt was not it. Given that we must also consider
issues of copyright and legal issues surrounding right-to-contribute,
this may be more than just an ML discussion.

Anyway, I don't have too much opinion here, other than JFDI, or at
least within the next 7 days tops.

Please advise where we should create the mailing list for the case
being discussed (BDR).

Why not just use -general, in order not to fragment our userbase even more. It's already got declining voiume, so adding a little bit more to it shouldn't be a big problem.

Then *if and when* the volume of BDR questions on that list become large enough to notice, should that even happen, we can create a new list *at that time*. That would decrease the risk that people are worried about which is that we create a list that will be extremely low volume yet "hard to get rid of" in the future.

(And as before, using -hackers for discussions about the actual development of the postgres parts)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/