Re: news ticker Services Policy -- time for a change?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: news ticker Services Policy -- time for a change?
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Currently our approval policy says this:
>

> From: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval
>
> "The following types of news will be approved:
> * Brand new products/projects/services which support or center around
> PostgreSQL"
>
> Under this policy, the new 2ndQuadrant support option was approved as a
> news announcement.  Thing is, I don't think that kind of announcement
> belongs on the postgresql.org home page.  When I wrote that text, what I
> personally meant by "services" was stuff like PAAS, not a support
> service.  I'm also concerned that the 2Q announcement will kick off an
> arms race of similar announcements.  I know I'll submit one for PGX if
> we don't change the policy.

FWIW, I find that one more "appropriate" for the postgresql.org
frontpage than any of the other things listed on there currently.

Why wouldn't a service like that qualify, when a new version of a
third party proprietary tool does?

> I'd like to change the policy to:
>
> * Brand new products, projects, companies hosting services, or cloud
> services which support or center around PostgreSQL.

So  basically "news about anything you can think of except support
services"? It's easier to work with a blacklist than a whitelist. I
still don't see the point in this change.

> The idea is that I think we want announcements like Gandi's PAAS on the
> home page, or StormDB launching, but not announcements like PGX
> introducing new emergency services.

What about "Gandi now supporting 9.3"? Would you only allow each
service *one* announcement, ever?

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: news ticker Services Policy -- time for a change?
Сообщение: Re: news ticker Services Policy -- time for a change?