Re: non-exclusive backup cleanup is mildly broken

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: non-exclusive backup cleanup is mildly broken
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 9:00 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 01:52:31PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 5:58 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> My first reaction would be to just disallow the combination of prepared
> transactions and start/stop backups. But looking at it it seems like an
> unnecessary restriction and an approach like this one seems better.

I think that's a bad idea to put a restriction of this kind.  There
are large consumers of 2PC, and everybody needs backups.

You misunderstood me. I certainly didn't mean that people who use 2PC shouldn't be able to use proper backups -- that would be *terrible*.

I meant disallowing pg_start_backup() in a session that had a prepared transaction, and disallowing preparing a transaction in a session with an ongoing backup. They would still work perfectly fine in *other* parallel sessions.

That said, being able to do it in the session itself is of course even better.