Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 1:38 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 06/08/2018 00:57, Tom Lane wrote:
> Anyway, I'd like to propose a compromise position that I don't think
> has been discussed before: let's drop release notes for branches
> that were already EOL when a given branch was released.  So for
> example, 9.3 and before would go away from v12, due out next year.
> Working backwards, we'd drop 9.1 and before from v10, giving the 15%
> savings in page count that I showed above.  A quick measurement says
> that would also trim the size of the v10 tarball by about 4%, which
> is not a lot maybe but it's noticeable across a lot of downloads.

Why not go further and just ship the release notes of the current major
version.  If you want to look at the release notes of version 11, read
the documentation for version 11.  Who reads the documentation of
version 12 to get the release notes of version 11?

+1 for that. At least if we get a generic release notes index up on the website, easy to find.

That might also make the process of manually merging release notes back and forth in the release process easier, I assume?

Сообщение: Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal
Сообщение: Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal