Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 9:24 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2024, at 00:56, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> I ended up writing the attached doc patch.  I found that some or our
> text was overly-wordy, causing the impact of what we were trying to say
> to be lessened.  We might want to go farther than this patch, but I
> think it is an improvement.

Agreed, this is an good incremental improvement over what we have.

> I also moved the <strong> text to the bottom of the section

+1

A few small comments:

+considers performing minor upgrades to be less risky than continuing to
+run superseded minor versions.</em>

I think "superseded minor versions" could be unnecessarily complicated for
non-native speakers, I consider myself fairly used to reading english but still
had to spend a few extra (brain)cycles parsing the meaning of it in this
context.

+ We recommend that users always run the latest minor release associated

Or perhaps "current minor release" which is the term we use in the table below
on the same page?

I do like the term "current"  better. It conveys (at least a bit) that we really consider all the older ones to be, well, obsolete. The difference "current vs obsolete" is stronger than "latest vs not quite latest".