Re: source download link in installation instructions

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: source download link in installation instructions
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

On Feb 5, 2013 3:58 AM, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> The installation instructions in the devel branch
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/install-getsource.html
>
> contain a direct link to the tarball download
>
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/source/v9.3devel/postgresql-9.3devel.tar.gz
>
> which doesn't exist.  It will presumably exist once there is a final
> release, but I think it's bad to have that link broken in the meantime,
> especially when beta comes around.  It's also not clear whether ftp and
> tar.gz are necessarily the preferred download means anymore.
>
> Should we just provide a link to http://www.postgresql.org/download/ or
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/ instead?  Or perhaps just "ifdef"
> out the broken link in the devel versions?

Linking to /download/ seems like the best thing. Both because it gives you a list of all the options, and because we don't lock into a specific structure on the site. Not that we've change it recently, but links in the docs are very permanent..

/Magnus