Re: Missing link in Developer FAQ

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Missing link in Developer FAQ
Дата
Re: Missing link in Developer FAQ
Список pgsql-www
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of jue ago 23 06:34:53 -0400 2012:
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure that's what we decided when migrating to the new
>> website, so it was dropped intentionally. But I can't actually find a
>> reference to the discussion.
>>
>> I think one thing discussed was that the source tree is really a bad
>> place to store it. The entire contents, including images, should
>> probably be migrated to the wiki instead. *or* to the "website
>> proper", but in that case in the actual website SCM, not in the
>> postgresql.git one.
>
> That's what I said four years ago.  People weren't excited about that
> idea because "there would be no way for it to be in sync with each
> different release, only HEAD".  I think it's time to let go of that
> thought and move it to the wiki or website, where we would (try to)
> ensure that it documents the current development version.  There doesn't
> seem to be any point to keeping multiple versions of it; would-be
> developers (the intended audience) are all trying to understand *that*
> version, after all, not the previous ones.

AFAICT, the last time anybody actually did anything but fix typos in
it was in 2008. So I think that "stay in sync" argument is not really
relevant.

>> Also, it took almost a year for anybody to notice that they weren't
>> there, so they're clearly not used very much.
>
> I think it's not visible enough.  We have plenty of new people trying to
> understand the PG innards all the time that it remains a useful
> resource.

Oh, I'm not saying we should get rid of it. Just migrate it to a
better position. If we put it "properly on the website" it would
probably get *more* exposure, rather than less...

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: