Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Offline enabling/disabling of data checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 4:46 PM Michael Banck <michael.banck@credativ.de> wrote:
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.03.2019, 12:24 +0100 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 11:54 AM Sergei Kornilov <sk@zsrv.org> wrote:
> > One new question from me: how about replication?
> > Case: primary+replica, we shut down primary and enable checksum, and
> > "started streaming WAL from primary" without any issue. I have
> > master with checksums, but replica without.
> > Or cluster with checksums, then disable checksums on primary, but
> > standby think we have checksums.
>
> Enabling or disabling the checksums offline on the master quite
> clearly requires a rebuild of the standby, there is no other way

What about shutting down both and running pg_checksums --enable on the
standby as well?

That sounds pretty fragile to me. But if we can prove that the user has done things in the right order, sure. But how can we do that in an offline process? what if the user just quickly restarted the primary note after the standby had been shut down? We'll need to somehow validate it across the nodes..