Re: tickling the lesser contributor's withering ego

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: tickling the lesser contributor's withering ego
Дата
Re: tickling the lesser contributor's withering ego  ("Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org>)
Re: tickling the lesser contributor's withering ego  ("Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org>)
Re: tickling the lesser contributor's withering ego  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: tickling the lesser contributor's withering ego  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: tickling the lesser contributor's withering ego  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 4:17 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2018-Dec-21, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I propose the following patch, which will make those links stable --
> > then we can add the following links to the contributors page:
> > https://www.postgresql/org/docs/10/release-10.html#RELEASE-10-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
> > https://www.postgresql/org/docs/11/release-11.html#RELEASE-11-ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
>
> Seems reasonable, but note the lag time --- unless somebody does
> something out of the ordinary, those pages won't actually have
> such tags till after the February minor releases.

Good point.  That seems acceptable to me.

Good. While it *can* be worked around, it's a PITA and it risks getting overwritten by other things, since the normal docs loads are based off release tarballs. We can make them off a snapshot tarball, but it's a pain :)

Oh, and +1 for stable links like that in general. That would be one good step.

Not having considered what to do with, but it could also be interesting to teach the loader to read the structured data out of the XML file and store it in one of these weird things called a "database". That could be used for things like matching on the contributors list and add a little per-version badge to which versions they are known to contribute etc. That would require us to be quite consistent in the naming of people, and also not to have duplicates though, but maybe it can be valuable?

Actually, do we have a policy for handling duplicates in the docs there? Since we only keep names there and not email or similar?